Thursday, January 23, 2014

Was Pi Really Going to Be Changed to 3.2?

I just saw a video that I thought was both very strange and also very funny. The video talked about a man named Edward Goodwin who thought he had solved one of the greatest math problems that involved a circle, but there was one problem: for his solution to work, pi had to be 3.2. Even though this is ridiculous and pi is actually ~3.14, he wanted to patent this idea for fear of somebody else using it!
Below, I have included a picture of the problem called "squaring the circle," which is referred to in the video.

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this strange incident before! I find it sort of ridiculous how Edwin attempted to copyright his "discovery" in order to make money every time someone used his alteration in a proof, except if it was in Indiana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very interesting! I never heard about that pi=3.2 before, and I never think about it. . "As unbelievable as it sounds, a bill that would have effectively redefined pi as 3.2 came up before the Indiana legislature in 1897." and also, I found this:http://mentalfloss.com/article/30214/new-math-time-indiana-tried-change-pi-32

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an interesting concept. Do you thnk you can post the video that you found? After all that research of looking for the end of Pi it's hard to believe that they would think of changing it to 3.2

    ReplyDelete