Thursday, January 9, 2014

The "Golden Spiral"

Above is a video that I found on YouTube and that really interested me.
The video talks about a numerical sequence that, when represented as a spiral, can be seen all throughout nature in shells, leaves, and even the formation of galaxies.
The sequence is called the Fibonacci sequence, and looks like this:

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 . . .

You can continue this sequence easily, since the next number is always the sum of the two before it; for example, the 10th number in the sequence is 34 because the two numbers before it, 21 and 13, add up to 34. Therefore, if you wanted to determine the number after 34, you would add 34 and 21 to get 55.
I thought this was very interesting, so I wanted to make it my third blog post for this week.

1 comment:

  1. I also found the Fibonacci sequence to be very interesting! :) This was my interesting blog topic of the week that I chose too. Despite being such a basic sequence, the pure simplicity of it and its appearance in various forms of nature demonstrates how amazing God's creation is. He might have even demonstrated his endless love and salvation for us through a flower containing an orderly design of an infinite mathematical sequence!

    ReplyDelete